This is the second part of a six-part series that investigates eight major ways that ungodly beliefs are formed in our lives. Part two shows how ungodly beliefs are formed through misinterpreting God’s word and believing the lies of Satan and his demons.
Misinterpreting God’s Word
The Unforgivable Sin
Another key way to form ungodly beliefs is to have an incorrect view of Scripture. A one quick example should be enough to get this point across.
One area that I have to deal with quite a bit is talking with those that believe they have committed the unforgivable sin. They read Matthew 12:28-29; Mark 3:28-29; or Luke 12:10 and come to me believing that they have somehow committed the unforgivable sin.
Behind this question is a lack of confidence in being saved. The person either feels guilty and condemned from the life they have lived, or by the enemy who is working on accusing and condemning them with great effectiveness. No matter the source, they feel that they have committed the unforgivable sin and are on their way to hell.
A few quick observations should help us see what it means to commit this sin.
- The scribes were making claims about how Jesus was casting out demons.
- They knew Jesus was holy and could never find anything to accuse him of before the people.
- They could not deny that He was doing all sorts of miracles, signs, and wonders in their midst.
- They tried to get Him to say things by which they could condemn Him, but He always amazed them with His answers.
- They made the statement that Jesus was “possessed by Beelzebul and by the prince of demons he casts out demons” (Mark 3:22).
- Jesus said that anything they said against Him could be forgiven, but to attribute the works of the Holy Spirit in healing and delivering those who were oppressed and crushed by the devil as coming from the devil was too much.
- The scribes were calling the Holy Spirit Satan and saying Jesus was possessed by the devil to do the works that He accomplished.
The final outcome is that these scribes were so opposed to Jesus and they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit by saying that Jesus had “an unclean spirit.” So unless you have attributed the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan and said that Jesus was possessed by Satan, you have not committed the unforgivable sin.
There are many other Scriptures that cause believers to stumble in their confidence before God. Wrong interpretations and misunderstanding Scripture block many from walking in the truth of God,
Lies from the Devil and His Demons
Jesus gives us insight into the character and nature of the devil, his demons, and those who follow him. He said:
"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:44)
The devil is called the father of lies. The idea is that he is the source of all lies. They all find their birth in him.
It was his outright lies in the garden that caused man to fall and death to enter the world. The devil is an expert liar. It is his very nature to lie. Everything that he does is based in falsehood and deception.
If the devil ever speaks the truth, it is a half-truth disguised as real truth. There always seems to be some basis of truth in what he says or it would not be reasonable to believe his words. Within the truth there is hook designed to capture us and lead to our destruction.
The devil constantly lies to us and seeks to limit the life of God flowing through our lives. The following are some of the major areas and reasons for his lies. He lies about:
- God - he wants us to doubt God’s goodness and intentions toward us.
- The Word of God - he wants us to doubt God’s word and seeks to twist the true meaning of what God has said.
- Our identity - he wants us to see ourselves as cursed, weak, pitiful, wretched sinners rather than the blessed, God-empowered, significant, worthy children of God.
- Our calling - he will constantly attack and undermine the call of God in your life to stop you from taking your God-given place in the Kingdom of God.
- Our ability - he wants to constantly remind us of our weaknesses or over inflate our strengths so we will not fix our eyes on Jesus and depend on Him as our source of strength.
- Our worth - he wants us to feel unimportant, insignificant, worthless, and damaged rather than the important, significant, valuable treasure that God is restoring through the gift of His Son Jesus.
- Our sexuality - the enemy wants to convince us that we are homosexual or lesbian, that men are women or women are men, and that every sort of sexual pleasures ore okay rather than understanding that God made man and woman in His image and that sexual union is designed for a married man and woman.
There is not an area of our lives that the devil will not lie to us about. I challenge you to take the time to go through the above list and ask the Lord if there are any lies you are believing in any of these areas.
The Scriptures also reveal that the Satan’s demons are also liars. Paul warns Timothy with the following words:
But the Spirit explicitly says that in the later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons (1 Timothy 4:1).
This verse shows us that demons are actively involved in spreading lies. They speak to men and mislead them through their doctrines.
Satan, and his demons, are the source of every false religion and distorted Christian doctrine. Their demonic teachings are designed to keep people in the darkness and away from the truth of Jesus. His ultimate aim is take as many people to the lake of fire with him as he possibly can.
You're Invited to Join Us on the Journey
I am so thankful that you’ve joined us today. If this post has blessed you and you would like to receive more, I want to invite to join us on the journey. Each week there will be a new blog post, audio blog, and encouraging images uploaded to the site. You can sign up for our Weekly Blog Digest and receive an email in your inbox every Friday morning listing all of the materials released for the past seven days.
The goal of Experiencing His Victory is to help you grow in your relationship with God. I have a desire to see you experience everything God has for your life. If you would like to join us on the journey, click on the button below.